Email this page to a friend


How to Get Green Card

Are you Eligible to Apply for an Adjustment of Status to Lawful Permanent Resident and Get Green Card From Inside of the US?

You may be eligible for an adjustment of status, to get green card, to that of a lawful permanent resident (green card holder) if you are already in the United States and if one or more of the following categories apply to you. You may also even qualify for 245i protection . Read on to also learn the exact steps involved in applying for a green card and the medical examination required.

Family Member:

You are the spouse, parent, unmarried child under age 21, the unmarried son or daughter over age 21, the married son or daughter, or the brother or sister of a United States citizen and have a visa petition approved in your behalf. Keep in mind however, that if you are outside of the United States, then you may qualify for a green card through consular processing. You must also be aware of the steps involved in consular process and adjustment of status inside the US before making a decision.

greencardYou are the spouse or unmarried son or daughter of any age of a lawful permanent resident and you have a family-based visa petition approved in your behalf.


You are an alien who has an approved visa petition filed in your behalf by a United States employer. There is more information about seeking a green card through specific employment.

If you fit into any of the three above categories, you are eligible for adjustment of status, get green card to lawful permanent resident (green card holder) from within the United States. Remember that if you do not, the alternate method of entering the United States with a green card is through consular process and both methods have advantages and disadvantages.

Visa Number:

If you are a Family- or Employment-based applicant, you must have an immigrant visa number available from the State Department unless you are in a category that is exempt from numerical limitations. Immediate relatives of United States citizens are exempt from this requirement. Immediate relatives of U.S. citizens are parents, spouses, and unmarried children under 21. (For instance, you can apply to adjust to permanent resident status at the same time that your U.S. citizen daughter files an application for you to become an immigrant.)

Other immigrant categories that are exempt from numerical limitations and do not need a visa number include special immigrant juvenile and special immigrant military petitions to get green card.

For the unmarried son or daughter (over 21 years of age) of a US Citizen, brother or sister of a US Citizen, or the spouse or children of lawful permanent residents, visa numbers are limited by law every year to get green card. This means that even if the USCIS approves an immigrant visa petition for you, you may not get an immigrant visa number immediately. In some cases, several years could pass between the time the USCIS approves your immigrant visa petition and the State Department gives you an immigrant visa number.

Click here to learn methods of eligibility for an adjustment of status to obtain your US Green Card.



Home | Blog | Work Visa | Citizenship | Family | Work Green Card | FAQ | Recent News | Visitor Visas | Student Visas | Asylum | Deportation

The information provided on this site is intended to teach individuals and corporations their rights and protect them from fraud. It is not a substitute for professional advice from an experienced immigration attorney and should not be taken as legal advice. Please consult a lawyer for advice regarding your specific situation.

Our FRAUD ALERT section contains important information to be aware of before seeking assistance.

Privacy Policy | Contact Us

©2007 Immigration Legal Counsel, LLC.